About sugar beet fibre
Sugar beet, cultivated Beta vulgaris, is a plant whose root contains a high concentration of sucrose (as its name suggests). It is grown commercially for sugar production. Sugar beets are related to other B. vulgaris cultivars, such as beetroot and chard.
Sugar beets consist of approximately 75% water, 20% sugar and 5% cell walls. After the sugar is extracted, remaining cell wall material – the sugar beet pulp – is used to produce the sugar beet fibre.
This source of dietary fibre contains both soluble and insoluble fibres. The main fibre types in sugar beet fibre are insoluble hemicellulose (22-32 %) and soluble pectin (22-29 %), but also smaller amounts of cellulose and lignin. It has a water-holding capacity of 3-4 times its own weight.
Compared to many conventional natural sources of dietary fibre, such as cereal products and fruits, sugar beet fibre has the following advantages:
- It has a higher content of dietary fibre, with an ideal balance of 2/3 insoluble fibre.
- It contains no phytic acid (cereal products, such as bran and flour, contain phytic acid which forms strong chemical complexes with iron and zinc and can consequently impair or reduce the natural absorption of these essential minerals in the human body).
- It is naturally free from gluten, which means it is an excellent dietary fibre source for people suffering from gluten intolerance.
Sugar beet fibre contributes to an increase in faecal bulk in two ways: the insoluble components of the fibre increase faecal bulk by absorbing water in the large intestine, while the soluble components are fermented by bacteria in the large intestine leading to an increase in bacterial mass. As such, this source of fibre may have a beneficial physiological effect for people who want to improve or maintain a normal bowel function. Click here for EFSA scientific opinion.
Suggested product combinations
This food supplement can be combined with:
- our EasyDigest Complex
- our PROBIO Ultimate and PROBIO Balance
- our NutriFibre Complex and NutriFibre Plus
Colon Cleanse Plus can also be alternated with Colon Cleanse Complex
100 capsules per pot
Each 725mg proprietary blend capsule provides:
Burdock Root Powder
Sugar Beet Fibre (50mg)
Clove Bud Powder